Friday, February 08, 2008

Dobson Now Supports a Candidate?

Now my intelligence is being insulted by Dr. Dobson. At 10 PM last night I received an e-mail saying:

"I am endorsing Gov. Mike Huckabee for President of the United States today. My decision comes in the wake of my statement on Super Tuesday that I could not vote for Sen. John McCain..."

Why is he just now endorsing Huckabee?

"That left two pro-family candidates whom I could support, but I was reluctant to choose between them. However, the decision by Gov. Mitt Romney to put his campaign "on hold" changes the political landscape. The remaining candidate for whom I could vote is Gov. Huckabee. His unwavering positions on the social issues, notably the institution of marriage, the importance of faith and the sanctity of human life, resonate deeply with me and with many others."

First of all, it is nearly impossible for Romney to "run the table" in order to beat McCain. His decision to suspend his campaign is a financial one. Huckabee is not going to be able to win either. So why is Huckabee still campaigning? Many have speculated because he wants to be VP.

Here is my problem. Huckabee is not a conservative. Romney more than sufficiently pointed this out in the debates. Huckabee says what is needed to be said to get the Evangelical vote. So why is Dobson supporting him now? I have the sneaking suspicion that Dobson never really wanted to be put in the position of supporting a Mormon. Perhaps he was hoping Romney or Thompson would break out of the pack on their own. Neither of them did. So perhaps by endorsing Huckabee now, with the hopes of him being on the ticket in November, may get the Christian Right a seat at that proverbial table.

Politics is a strange world, but I need not be insulted by voting for a guy who has already lost. The math is simple. If Huckabee was in third place, and it is nearly mathematically impossible for Romney to win, then there must be other motivations. Whatever they are, asking me to support a ticket that is not conservative seems insulting. Conservatism is more than religious issues. It is a way of American life. This, I think, is the problem when people confuse the issues of the roles of church and state.

No comments: