Thursday, September 04, 2008

Where Does He stand?

During our trip to Boston, we managed to visit Bunker Hill. The tour guide showed us around the hill and explained to us the events of the day. The Patriots had heard that the British were making their way towards Charleston. So they decided to take a stand at Bunker Hill.

During the night the Patriots dug themselves into the hillside. By morning a Loyalist had noticed the Patriots digging and building some kind of fort. Realizing they were taking a stand against the British, the Loyalist reported to the British leaders what was happening. Of course the events of the rest of the day are well known.

What is of interest to me at the time was just how divided our country was. There were actually people who did not want to go to war with the British. They really turned over their fellow countrymen in the midst of fighting. Our Nation has always been a nation built upon ideas that not everyone agreed with. Yet Freedom and Liberty always managed to win the hearts of Americans. So we have always had to fight for our ideas not only outwardly but within.

So what does this have to do with anything. I am sitting here at 11:30 PM trying to catch up on the speech. Due to a gas leak call, I had to read about McCain's statements via the so-called news. Perhaps tomorrow I'll know more, but as of now McCain seems to be saying as much nothing as Barack.

Yahoo News quotes McCain as saying,

"I don't work for a party. I don't work for a special interest. I don't work for myself. I work for you."

Does anyone know what this means? Perhaps more ripping apart the First Amendment?

"Fight with me. Fight with me. Fight with me. Fight for what's right for our country..."

What does this mean?

"We were elected to change Washington, and we let Washington change us..."

Again, what does this mean? This coming from a man who sides with his political enemies...or are they his enemies?

"'After we've won, we're going to reach out our hand to any willing patriot, make this government start working for you again,' he said, and he pledged to invite Democrats and independents to serve in his administration."

So here is an appeal to the moderates. Can anyone explain to me what the core values are of moderates? Can anyone explain to me what it means to invite "any willing patriot"?

So far, and perhaps this will change when I get a chance to read the speech or listen to it later, I have not heard a leader. I am only hearing a man who wishes to unite people. I truly wonder where McCain would have stood on June 17, 1775. Would he truly have been a Patriot, a Loyalist or somebody in the middle?

No comments: