Sunday, May 28, 2006

Remembering Aunt Ella

I almost missed it. One of my favorite holidays almost went by without my getting the chance to preach at my kids. Yes, we went to the cemetery as we do every Memorial Day.

Rachel set flowers on Aunt Ella's freshly filled-in grave. I took the opportunity as I do every year to proclaim the message of the resurrection in order to instill a sense of hope and a healthy sense of the "fear of the Lord".

I will be curious to hear many years from now what this holiday has meant to my children. Did I make the most of such teachable moments such as today's?

We recently buried Aunt Ella. Her memory is fresh in their minds. I pray that the Lord above will use her to speak in ways that I cannot.

We miss Aunt Ella. She will be missed for many Memorial Days to come. Perhaps my children will be blessed not only by her life, but also by her death as well.

No comments: