Saturday, May 06, 2006

Anya Melts Into Pot


They came from far away lands. From Mexico (yes, some do come here legally), to Ecuador and Peru, from Gambia in West Africa to Iraq, from China and Vietnam, they lined up to receive citizenship. A total of 194 people from 39 nine countries were represented. It was simply an honor to participate in a ceremony for citizenship, which most Americans take for granted.

My wife's cousin, Joel, married Anya from the Ukraine. After spending a year in getting paperwork to come to the U.S., Anya then spent the next year seeking her citizenship. It was a proud moment in our family to say the Pledge of Allegiance with her for the first time as an American Citizen.

America is still the greatest and freest land in the world. People seeking freedom from religious and economic persecution still make their way here. I have grown to appreciate this great land more and more. I have attempted to instill that love of country in my children. Watching Steven sit on the edge of his seat was a moment I hope not to forget.

I must tell you the words of the 90 year old Federal Judge in his closing remarks. He said (my summary) that "America gives men and women the freedom to seek truth. The truth shall set you free."

AMEN to the words of that Judge!

No comments: