Saturday, November 11, 2006

Beauty and the Beast in Scott City

Last night the Scott City High School performed their final performance of Beauty and the Beast. With the 30 Bazillion dollar brand new high school and the very nice auditorium and with the brand new sound equipment that should allow everyone to be heard with very good quality, I figured the performance should have quite an advantage. It did. That, however, was not what made the musical great.

The casting was perfect. I personally know several of the students, and it was as if they were written into the musical by the author. Majken Eckels gave the lead performance of Belle. She was simply terrific. The girl can simply sing. A surprise to me was the singing by Mrs. Potts played by Jill Kuckleman. Again, she fit her role and her voice could not have been better. I wonder if I should have asked for her autograph. Perhaps it would be worth something someday.

The sexy pair, that again was cast perfectly, was Babette and Lumiere played by Amanda Kennedy (who may also become a famous singer) and Santos Prieto. They along with the silly girls brought humor to the program. Parker Artz played Belle’s father, and that boy can sing.

The Beast played by Travis Reece also did an excellent job. I am not sure how Travis managed to get through it all. He is also on the football team, which has been winning in their playoff games, and has been having a reaction to his makeup. Acting big is right up Travis’ alley. Playing opposite Travis was Gaston by Winston Sattler. There were not very many male performers (I think I counted 6 in all?), yet the cast seemed adequate with their performances. I do not remember hearing any stumbles or truly awkward moments. It seemed almost perfect.

Mrs. X (I don’t want to embarrass her) told me this morning that she had gone to dinner and the musical last night. She went home, believing she had been to the big city and had a wonderful night out on the town. I agreed. I came home feeling that way too.

If I find some pictures floating on emails around town, I will be sure to post them here.

No comments: