Sunday, June 25, 2006

Why I Am Reformed

Is John 6 verses 31-the end of the chapter really about God trying to save every soul ever, but failing to save millions, perhaps billions? That seemed to be a part of a message I heard recently. However, no exegesis of the text was ever offered. The scope and context of the text was never given. Instead 1John 2:2 was cited and an improper interpretation was forced into John 6.

The scope of John 6:31-71 is about Jesus explaining the unbelief of the Jews and explaining that He is the only source of eternal life. Jesus tells them that they are utterly dependant upon Him. Men's works will never contribute one ounce to their salvation. Jesus says in the plainest of words that He has come to save an elect people, and He is to do that perfectly. Note His words in verses 37-39:

"All that the Father gives Me will come to Me, and the one who comes to Me I will certainly not cast out. For I have come down from heaven, not to do My own will, but the will of Him who sent Me. This is the will of Him who sent Me, that of all that He has given Me I lose nothing, but raise it up on the last day."

The logic is compelling. The thought is sound and clearly expressed. Yet men have done everything to get around this simple text. Jesus explains the total inability of man in the clearest language. Jesus is the only means that is offered by God to save men and to save them perfectly.

It is the Father who gives a people to the Son. It is this action of God that is the cause of those "who come" to Christ. This is the simple reason why Christ never casts them out. They come to Him because of an action by the Father to save them. Could Jesus really decide not to save any person that comes to Him?

Jesus tells us that He is doing the will of the Father. That "Will" is to save all that are given to Him. We must ask the obvious question. Will Jesus fail to save those that the Father has given to Him and thus failing to do the will of God?

Jesus will raise up on the last day all that the Father has given to Him, and He will do so without fail. Some have asked me why I am Reformed in my beliefs. The answer is simple. The consistent exegesis of the text drives me to that position. If you take God's Word seriously, then consider this text and meditate upon it. I am convinced God's Word is sufficient to convince the lover of truth to the Reformed position

Soli Deo Gloria

1 comment:

the forester said...

I'm with you, brother! John chapter 6 is one of my favorites in the entire Bible, because its language is so striking and powerful. It pulls no punches about our utter dependence on God to save us. We are starving, we are desperate, needing to feed on His flesh and blood. So I appreciate your commentary on this chapter and how it supports reformed theology.

I'm sorry I've been missing lately. Very busy -- to the point of neglecting my own blog. When I get some time I'll go back and read some of your recent posts. Looks like some good ones in there -- I don't want to miss them ...