Monday, June 19, 2006

She Belongs To Me...For now


Today she is seven, next year she'll be seventeen. I remember when she was born I honestly thought, "What do I do with a girl?" I simply do not understand girls. Rachel has only proven my fears.

She seemed to only want her mother for a long time. She cried till daddy gave her to mom. There was a female bond that only mom had rights to. Perhaps it was my mean sounding voice. Perhaps it was just being a man that kept us apart.

One evening at a family gathering, Rachel heard a scary sound. I saw her begin to run. She ran past mom. She ran past Grandma. She ran past Grandpa. She ran past aunts and uncles. She ran to me. She always run to me. She has been mine ever since.

Steven managed to steal third base tonight. I can understand that. He is my mirror image. Yet as fickle and finicky and as feminine and the complete opposite of me as a girl can be, she is. I simply love that girl.

Happy Birthday Rachel.

1 comment:

Jim Fisher said...

Now thats a cutie. Enjoy it while it lasts. You only got about 5 more years till she'll be running from her dad.