Tuesday, May 03, 2005

Are The Scriptures Sufficient?

Somehow I get on e-mail lists that I just don't want. I decided to read one e-mail from a Christian website. The author clearly takes a common stand that is being taken among evanjellyists. Here is an e-mail exhange between Rob (from www.christiancounterculture.com) and myself.

[To Rob]

"reading a book by an Open Theist or (God-forbid!) someone who is suggesting that perhaps the 17th-century "Westminster Divines" didn't get it exactly right in every single instance." [quote from internet site]

Do you really think warning someone of the anti-Biblical definition of God is trivial? Amazing! It is true that much on the internet is junk, but you need to be careful when you paint with a broad brush.

The undershepherds of God's flock will have to give an account. Warning people of false doctrine and false teachers is the job of the Elders in the local body. If you really think the nature of God is trivial then I guess evanjellyism is truly on the wide path.

I just assume not receive email from Christians leaders who have no discernment.

God Bless

Howard



[From Rob]

Thanks for the note, Howard. But I am afraid it was just the sort of thing I was writing about. Not only was it "less than brotherly" but you chose to put your own ridiculous "spin" on it ? and I mean "ridiculous" quite literally. I said nothing of the sort you suggest. Forgive me, but you are being a bit ridiculous. [Hear that with warm smiles!]

It suggests to me that you are part of the larger "Reformed" world which is more interested in waging war than walking in love. My prayer is that God will give you the maturity to exercise true godly discernment, recognizing that the body of Christ includes people and theologies that don't set well with our own understanding of Scripture. or perhaps you think no one was saved prior to the Protestant Reformation?

May God's grace fill your lives, Howard & Stephanie.

Warmly,

rob


[To Rob]

"perhaps you think no one was saved prior to the Protestant Reformation?"

I agree that there is much that is just sniping on the internet. This sort
of thing has happened since the beginning of Christianity. But to think that
the nature of God was settled at the reformation is absurd. Disputing over
what time Sunday services should be is one thing. Saying that God could be
like the Mormon God is another. The nature of God has been defended long
before the reformers. I just wish God would grant us some of the great
defenders of the past.

"My prayer is that God will give you the maturity to exercise true godly
discernment, recognizing that the body of Christ includes people and
theologies that don't set well with our own understanding of Scripture"

There are lots of people who don't have perfect knowledge, especially me.
But your claim is clearly going outside the boundary lines. You are actually
denying the sufficiency of Scripture to speak to us clearly. In other words,
God has not spoken clearly enough for us to understand who He is and what
the gospel is. All of this in the name of the Word of God.

Remember, you and I will give an account and will be held to a higher
standard, which is why not many of us should seek to be teachers.

When evanjellyism can not even define God according to the plain teaching of
Scripture, then I know we are in trouble. I am not sure what "spin" I put on
"it", but if defending the faith once delivered to the Saints (long before
the Reformation by the way) is not the job of the overseers of the church, I
do not know what is.

God Bless

Howard

[From Rob]

I think you are having an argument with yourself, Howard.

:-)

rob


[from Rob]

"according to the plain teaching of Scripture"

The debates I am speaking of involve taking sides on matters that go far beyond "the plain teaching of Scipture." In my humble opinion, the real problem in the debate over "openness" is that BOTH sides go to far in trying to define the character of God. There is much more philosophical reasoning going on; it certainly isn't about the "plain teaching of scripture." Same with other debates ? like the 5 Points of Calvinism, Imputation and Federal Theology.

Read Martyn Lloyd-Jones, for example, on how the Westminster "Devines" went far beyond scripture in defining the faith. As did their heirs, especially Hodge and Warfield.

There are some things that we should probably say less about.

(BTW ? I am opposed to open theism.)

:-) rob


--Don't you find this kind of thinking typical in our feel good, let's not offend anyone with the clear teaching of Scripture day? Why is it not "sniping" when this website puts out its views and everyone else is? Are they simply not taking a position and defending it, but if anyone else does that, they are simply being intolerant?

Also, if evangelicalism continues to go down this road, they will only give aid and comfort to those who deny the sufficiency of the Bible. I wonder if we are not already there.

2 comments:

Howard Fisher said...

I appreciate your comment and critique. In using the word "evanjellyism", that is just my way of adding a little comic relief to something that I think is otherwise very serious.

I apologize if that was offensive. I just think it is a way of describing the state of evangelialism today. When ETC can not expel "open-theists" from its ranks, then.......

Howard Fisher said...

I am a baptist, and I do believe that church membership should be made of "regenerated" believers (I do not think there is any other kind).

So you are correct in pointing out the problem. Even in my own denomination, the desire to get everyone to church overrides this fundamental baptist belief about the nature of the church.