Monday, April 21, 2008

Be On Guard

They came knocking during a time when I would not be home. I wasn't able to be there guarding my own. "Why are there so many denominations?", the woman from the Church of Christ asked. Notice the question isn't about the Gospel, but rather which church is the true church. "Sheep stealing" is the phrase I like to use.

Whenever I hear the above question, red flags immediately spring into action in my mind. It also does for my wife. Many people have questioned my insistence on more Creeds. I am constantly being told that the church needs to be more pragmatic or as Mega-church leader Rick warren says, "Deeds, not Creeds". Thinking like this is completely the opposite of the New Testament's teaching and misses the true need of man.

Last evening I did yet another weird thing. I read the entire epistle of 2 Peter to my family. I realize that is radical. Yet when my wife was asked a simple question about the Law of God and whether or not the Ten Commandments were a part of the Old Covenant, she threw her visitors a curve ball. "Do you mean the Covenant with Adam? That is the oldest Covenant." Being stumped with a simple response they moved on.

So again, why do I spend much of my time teaching Creeds? The answer is simple. Lots of groups are about "deeds". Many are helping the homeless or hungry. Many go door to door "sharing" something. Why not join their group? Peter tells us about false teachers within the church:

"the untaught and unstable distort, as they do also the rest of the Scriptures, to their own destruction. You therefore, beloved, knowing this beforehand, be on your guard so that you are not carried away by the error of unprincipled men and fall from your own steadfastness, but grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. To Him be the glory, both now and to the day of eternity. Amen."

Peter is stirring up by way of reminder [ie: repetition] the doctrines that he has taught the flock of God. Peter knew his time was short as he speaks of his departure from this world. He knew he could not be with his people forever. He wanted to leave them mature and standing firm in the faith once for all delivered unto the Saints. I wish to do the same. After coming home and hearing of false disciples from the local Church of Christ attempting to steal those from under my care, I am relieved to know that for sound reasons my family stood firm for the Gospel of Grace.

Soli Deo Gloria

1 comment:

Howard Fisher said...

The reader should keep in mind that I am in no way against people knocking on doors to proselytize for their religion. This is America, and we have the freedom to persuade each other to our differing religious beliefs. Nevertheless, this should stand as a warning to those who shepherd the flock of God.