Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Tithing Challenge Accepted: Part 1

The challenge was issued forth from the pulpit. Does the New Testament teach “Tithing”? My answer is a resounding, yes!

I believe the hermeneutic used in Covenant Theology would be helpful in showing how Tithing has been a part of the moral Law of God instituted at creation and applied under the covenants with God’s people, but I would only be reinventing the wheel. Richard Barcellos has already done a great series of Blog entries on the Sabbath. Just as with the Sabbath, Tithing would be a part of the moral law of God instituted at creation and administered to God’s people under both the Old and New Covenants.

For now I will just point out one text in the New Testament and attempt to demonstrate that Jesus teaches that Tithing is still a part of the Christians life. Before I do, I must agree that my pastor is correct in that God wants all of the Christian including his finances. However, in a later conversation he did clarify his meaning as to say that all of our finances must come under the Lordship of Christ. Therefore if I purchase a new couch, or buy a new car, I must do so in submission to God’s clear commands and using the wisdom He has given to His church.

In Jesus’ condemnation of the Pharisees He says,

Mat 23:23 "Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you tithe mint and dill and cummin, and have neglected the weightier provisions of the law: justice and mercy and faithfulness; but these are the things you should have done without neglecting the others.

Here, Jesus specifically refers to Tithing as a part of the Law. I grant that it is not a part of the “weightier” aspect of the law, yet it is one we should not neglect along with the weightier aspects of the Law.

Jesus is instituting the New Covenant for He is the Israel of God in the flesh. He is the promised Seed of Abraham. Jesus in no way tells us that the Law is now useless or that it is somehow not for the coming Christian Church. Jesus says in the Sermon on the Mount, “Mat 5:17 "Do not think that I came to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I did not come to abolish but to fulfill.”

The Law of Tithing was instituted at creation. It was applied to the Old Covenant people in a unique way. It is now applied to the New Covenant people. Although it may not be the “weightier” matter of the Law, it is nevertheless a part of it. Hebrews 8 tells us that the Law of God that was given to the Old Covenant people is now written upon the minds and hearts of God true people. This is an act of grace. Therefore out of a contrite and cheerful heart, the Christian gives to God what belongs to Him.

Much much more could be said on this subject. Once the Christian rids his mind that he may worship God anyway his heart feels and submits his heart to the Law of God, he will see that God is the One who demands what worship is and how it is to be done.

This Sunday, when you offer to God what belongs to Him, when you submit to His authority to tell us what worship is, may your heart be blessed in knowing that you are worshiping Him as He commands, even in less weighty matters of the Law.

2 comments:

Paul said...

Howard,

What is significant about 10%, other than the command? I don’t think the tithe is taught in the New Testament. I think that you alluded to the heart of the matter when speaking about Christ fulfilling the law. I do like what Randy Alcorn says about tithing. “Tithing is the training wheels of giving” or “Those who say to me they can’t afford to tithe, I ask them ‘If you were to loose 10% of you income would you die?’” I think that Christ’s love demands not 10% but 100%. Now, how does this play out when we spend our money. This is how I think it might play out in one area of life: When going to buy groceries, pay bills, save, invest, enjoy some entertainment and so forth, with the 90% that is not given to the church, we think, live, and spend shows others that all of us belongs to the one who purchased us at the cross. Now, I must go confess for writing this, because I am nowhere near this in my life, But I am what I am by the grace of God.

Anonymous said...

"with the 90% that is not given to the church, we think, live, and spend shows others that all of us belongs to the one who purchased us at the cross."

I agree and stated so.

"What is significant about 10%, other than the command?"

It is significant since Jesus reaffirmed the command. If it is commanded, how can tithing be training wheels? Anyway, the training wheels idea or "principle" argument doesn't wash with me. (I attmpted to answer that in the other post. Redemptive history isn't going backwards from Laws to principles is it?)

Is God enforcing principles upon His people or His commandments?

"Now, I must go confess for writing this, because I am nowhere near this in my life, But I am what I am by the grace of God."

I agree. Perhaps Tithing is something Christians may practice keeping their minds on every other aspect of their financial life as well?