Sunday, May 13, 2007

She Told Me So

I just seemed to know. She took me into her bedroom and asked, "Did you take anything out of my purse?" I am sure there was denial, but I eventually confessed. She did something I have never forgotten. She made me read with her Exodus 20, "Thous shalt not steal."

Although I was far too young to read, it was as if I was reading it! I remember being so certain that it said I had done what I should not. What was even more important about that event was she dared to mention God. God gave this command to not steal, and I had broken it.

Somehow I knew she was right. I knew there was a God. I knew I had broken His law. To this day I can not escape this reality.

Perhaps this form of apologetic does not satisfy the unbeliever. Perhaps it is too simplistic. Today, I may very well believe in the existence of God due to my mother.

Of course, I am not talking about any God. For no other God than the Trinitarian God may exist. No other form of Theism is consistent with reality. It is only the Christian God that is self evident and true. He is the only consistent explanation for the world around us. In reality, He is the only One that is able to explain the creation around us.

I just want to say, "Thanks Mom!"

No comments: