Thursday, March 15, 2007

A Contagious Conversation

Here is a clip of Mark Dever and John Piper fielding questions at a recent conference. Both men are "reformed" in their basic theology. At this point they were discussing mega-churches verses small churches when Piper challenges Driscoll to think bigger.

I happen to agree with Driscoll about church yet Piper's view and particular point is thought-provoking. Piper is thinking ahead. Piper is preparing for thousands to come to Christ. The "what if thousands come in one day" is a great and positive way to think. Shouldn't we be evangelizing as if God were pleading with men through us? Shouldn't we expect that God may in fact perform a miracle in the salvation of sinners?

Whether you agree or disagree with Piper, his desire for God's Glory and the salvation of sinners is contagious. May the church in this nation be once again blessed with preachers that are unafraid to proclaim the Kingdom of God. Perhaps then Piper's dream will be realized.

PS. I originally wrote Mark Driscoll. It is was in fact Mark Dever of 9 Marks Ministry. I am a confused individual.

:-)

3 comments:

Paul said...

I think it was Dever not Driscoll. I also think that Driscoll would feel the same as Piper.

Anonymous said...

I apologize. It was Mark Dever of 9 Marks ministry. I have seen the names on the internet both ways, and I obviously confused myself.

Thanks

Paul said...

As to your thought; it seems to be a very interesting dynamic. I love the passion for praying that God would save thousands of souls in a short time. I also agreed with Dever's comment that His grace is sufficient in times of need, even administrative needs. The thing that hit home from Piper’s side was the fact if everyone in his church reached 5 souls in the next 20 years, his church would grow from 4000 to 20000! That is an incredibly tangible figure. I know that each one of us as individuals in the church could pour our lives into 5 people in 20 years to impact them for the sake of Christ!