Monday, February 19, 2007

Semper Reformanda

Crossed the Tiber's recent posts have been interesting. By his standards, I would not only be anti-catholic, I would be anti-everything from Hinduism to Evangelicalism since I critique everything.

He regrets at one point, "How could Catholicism be true if my parents were so messed up? This uses the incorrect paradigm of judging the veracity of a religion by those who don't practice it, which seems to be the way most of us, if we are honest, decide which church we will belong to."

I agree. We should not judge the veracity of a religion based upon people being inconsistent with their said faith. Yet he states in the next paragraph, "If I had to do it over again, (but there are no "undo" buttons in this life) I would have put much more time and effort into learning about what I was rejecting and starting to rail against."

Now I find this ironic. I realize I am just being anti-catholic here (he is never anti-Protestant...right?), but how many times has he had his erroneous understanding of Sola Scriptura pointed out to him? The fact that he read "100's of Jack T. Chick tracks read cover to cover as a 14 year old" only supports my argument. Now he is simply beyond hearing any correction at all, endlessly copying and pasting quotes as if he were not assuming the worldview he reads them in.

It is too bad modern Evangelicalism has departed much of its roots. When the Gospel becomes so shallow as to allow converts absolutely no understanding of basic doctrines, the "What we win them with is what we win them to" becomes the "what we must keep them with", and we can not keep converts in lousy, shallow theology forever. This is why churches must go back to the Scriptures.

Semper Reformanda...Always Reforming

No comments: