Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Is This the Best We Can Offer?

Back in late January, my wife called me and mentioned in passing that Senator Sam Brownback announced his run for the President of the U.S.. My first cynical thought was that he would begin to lean to the Left to gain votes. It is one thing to be a conservative in Kansas. It is another when one lives in the D.C. Culture and Media bubble.

So I began to tell my wife that he would probably start coming out against the War and other cultural issues. She corrected me on how pro-family and prolife he has always been. Indeed he is a religious man. I simply wanted to be proven wrong and stuck to my initial thoughts.

Fox reports:
"He opposes President Bush's plan to send more troops to Iraq, saying, "Iraq requires a political rather than a military solution." Brownback also favors an eventual path to citizenship for some of the nation's 11 million illegal immigrants."

I am now disappointed. Within 24 hours of my telling my wife he would cower to the Press to get good coverage Brownback leaves the ranch. During a time when Conservatives desperately need a conservative leader to lead a conservative movement none can be found. I realize there is no Ronald Reagan out there. Perhaps somebody might see the vaccum and fill it?

For nearly six years we have watched Bush talk about defeating the enemy. Yet he does this while giving Ted Kennedy the ability to write an Education Bill. He has tried the New Tone with the Left. What has this gotten him? Nothing but an emboldened internal enemy.

Any Conservative Leader could have destroyed the Democratic Party. Instead Bush goes to his corner everytime he knocks them to their knees. Instead of following his foreign policy of Victory, he allows his enemy another shot. Perhaps this is why we haven't won the war? Perhaps Bush has been wimping and not seeking full and decisive victory over the enemy in Iraq?

After watching Brownback these last few weeks, I see nothing that inspires me. More politics and more political solutions so that the treaty makers can come up with a solution, pat themselves on the backs, only to have to face an emboldened enemy in a few more years. This kind of politician is not what America needs.

No comments: