Sunday, February 19, 2006

A Seeker's Guide

A friend of mine sent me an article by Jim Elliff. The name just kept bugging me. It seemed I should know him. Well, it turns out I have a very smart wife with a memory better than an elephant (I know...never have the words wife and elephant in the same sentence.)

She reminded me that a Baptist pastor with reformed beliefs encouraged me last summer at a wedding. His name was Pastor Robert Flack. Once he found that I was reformed in my theology, he started getting all excited and handing me several books. Two of them were by Jim Elliff.

I went through my book shelf and sure enough, I had put them away, intending to read them, but never getting around to it. So I decided to read the first one, Pursuing God: A Seeker's Guide.

Pastor Jim Elliff gives a Biblically sound presentation of the Gospel. The main part of the book is a short 58 pages. He explains clearly that dead sinners do not come to Christ. He explains that men are enslaved to sin. One part that is particularly good is that he demonstrates a true God seeker verses one who seeks for selfish reasons.

The Lord Says, "Seek the Lord while He may be found, call upon Him while He is near."

There are those who seek a little while, but who never find, because their seeking is only surface, and their love for themselves is permanent."

This form of a Gospel presentation is sorely lacking in modern Evanjellyism. Sin must be dealt with. Repentance must be dealt with. Saving, Spirit born faith verses human faith must be contrasted. Jim Elliff does this with passion.

Pastor Jim Elliff has given not only the church a blessing by providing this book to help Christians present the Gospel, but it is also a great book to give a friend who is questioning how to get to the Kingdom of Heaven.

No comments: