Sunday, February 26, 2006

Pastor Lynne Retires

I first met Pastor Lynne almost 14 years ago. I flew out to Kansas to get married at the First Christian Church in Scott City. I arrived on Saturday and had a brief counseling session. I could see very quickly he had a love for the Word of God. My Bride and I desired to have a Gospel preaching wedding. He was the perfect man. This was in 1992.

In 1997 we moved to Scott City. We looked for a new church home. The Baptist Church had a contemporary worship style service. We decided to attend. Lo and behold, Pastor Lynne was preaching. His enthusiasm for the Word of God was most contagious. It was not too long after that we were encouraged to become members of First Baptist.

Pastor Lynne saw my gift for teaching and allowed me to teach the Jr. High Sunday School class and an adult Wednesday night class as well. Every once in a while we would converse and discuss what I would be teaching. He was always in agreement with my ideas. Even when the Christian Education Board was a little concerned that I was not using published curriculums, he defended my beliefs and positions on what I was doing.

It was Pastor Lynne who helped arrange with Pastor Jim Collinsworth to have me speak at the High School Graduation Breakfast. It was pastor Lynne who recognized my limited gift for preaching and had me "fill-in" for him on a Sunday morning worship service. It was Pastor Lynne who gave my name to the denomination to be a substitute in churches without a pastor or a fill-in.

When my son saw his need to follow the Lord in Baptism, it was Pastor Lynne who spoke with my son over several weeks. It was Pastor Lynne and I who Baptized my son.

When major issues that arose in our church, it was Pastor Lynne who sought the Lord in prayer. Pastor Lynne spent much time in sermon preparation. Pastor Lynne spent much time visiting his people. Pastor Lynne drove perhaps over a million western Kansas miles to hospitals. Pastor Lynne was there when our family met a crisis.

God's shepherds know their people. Pastor Lynne knows everyone's name. Pastor Lynne loves his flock. Pastor Lynne gives all to the people the Lord has placed under his care.

It is 2006. Pastor Lynne has retired today from official duties and is moving back east in Kansas.

Pastor Lynne, you mean a lot to my family and me. You mean so much to our church. You are salt and light in our community. You will be sorely missed. May God bless you.

2 comments:

TheFilmCritic said...

The best thing you could say about Lynne would definitely be his evident care for his flock. It seems you rarely had to tell him what was going on in your life. Somehow, he just new and was there for you before you could even ask for help. I don't know how he did it. God bless him and Ruth in their retirement!

Anonymous said...

Who ever met Lynne Smith was blesses in some way!!!! He was a very special man, and he has truly touched our family in many many ways that we will bever forget!!