Wednesday, June 22, 2005

Remember When You...So Shut Up

"You can't rob banks."

"Oh yea, why not?"

"Because it is immoral."

"Well, you used to do it, so you are just being a hypocrite."

"Oh...hmmm...I guess I'll just stand here in the corner and shut up."

Just in the last few months, I have heard the hypocrite argument used several times, even against me for something I did 15 years ago. Is it truly a legitimate way for people to reason? It has become so much a part of our culture to use it, surely it must have merit.

Jesus teaches so often against hypocrisy, that it is clear from His teaching that men will be judged for it in the future judgment. In Matthew chapter 23 however, Jesus does not allow us to use it as an argument against doing what is right. He says, "The scribes and the Pharisees have seated themselves in the chair of Moses; therefore all that they tell you, do and observe, but do not do according to their deeds; for they say things and do not do them." Here Jesus holds men accountable for their obedience to rulers who are in authority over them. Even when they act hypocritically.

So why is the hypocrisy argument used? It has been my observation that those who use it wish to marginalize people out of public discourse. If a person who is defending what is right is put in the corner with his dunce hat on, then that person will not be allowed to engage in public discourse and the evil that men do is allowed to remain.

In my own recent experience, I had something held against me in hopes I would shut up. What was bizarre, was the argument that I posed had nothing to do with what hypocritical charge. So many today can't see the issues and are always attacking people, who put forth their beliefs. I guess having beliefs and attempting to persuade our fellow man is wrong and believed by many as to being unconstitutional.

I actually heard an atheist say to Sean Hannity that the Framers of the Constitution should be ignored as to their interpretation of the Constitution because many of them owned slaves. Imagine that. The people who wrote the constitution should be ignored because some of them were inconsistent in their beliefs and practice, and therefore should be barred from public discourse.

This is exactly what has been happening to Christians for a long time. If you are a Christian, people will always look for some fault and exploit it. What does this have to do with the substance of issues, I haven't the foggiest idea. Just read the response to my "Left In Mouth Disease." Simply because the U.S. did something in the past that may have been wrong, somehow neutralizes her from doing what is right today. I never said anywhere in that post that "Muslims[...]equal "people trying to blow us up"", yet somehow I am accused of saying that in a two short paragraph post that never contains the word Muslim. Nor did I say we should lock up all Muslims like we did the Japanese in WWII.

Well, those of you who use the hypocrisy argument, please do not speak anymore on important social issues. You are all hypocrites, and I now hold you to your own standards.

No comments: