Tuesday, December 07, 2004

Campolo and Sexism

Just reading more information on Tony Campolo. He spoke at Cooperative Baptist Fellowship where he stated that we who believe that women are not called to be Elders/Pastors "change the Bible to fit [our] theology."

Now please understand this. I am a member of the American Baptist denomination. I know they allow women pastors. I know they have no biblical warrant for doing so. But to say I am changing the Bible to fit my theology is quite a charge. Please demonstrate this Dr. Campolo. Oh, wait! Your training is in sociology. Never mind.

It doesn't stop there though. If it did, I could take the little heat that he generates. He also stated at one time that, "It's one thing to be wrong, but that isn't wrong, that's sinful." So now the men who have exegeted Scripture for hundreds of years are sinful? Maybe. But how does saying it without exegetically demonstrating this prove he is right? I guess our final authority should be Tony Campolo? Without his sociology degree, I just don't see how the church will ever be free from its traditions of male sexism. ;-)

No comments: