Friday, December 28, 2007

Justification Verses Sanctification

Years ago I remember having a conversation about the practical implications of the Gospel. Some friends were questioning how does the Gospel help a person stuck in a particular sin. My response was simple, Justification. At the time, this was something just intuitive for me. I couldn't explain it, and I'm not sure I can now. It has always been about Justification for me. Piper was right in his book that Justification gives the ground and basis for the Christian life. It has always freed me to get up again in the morning and face another day. It has always reminded me that God has not left me here in this struggle without knowing that I am righteous before Him.

It is all about Christ and what He has done in my place.

TOA commented,

"All who sin reject that imputation to a degree. I'll take Jesus' words over yours: You are my friends IF you love one another and do as I commanded you."

What so many RCs and many Evangelicals misunderstand is that there are imperatives as well as indicatives throughout the text of Scripture. Many see the term "if" and see it as something they need to fulfill in order to get the prize. In order to not reinvent the wheel I commend you a recent program of The White Horse Inn that discussed Justification and Sanctification.

A Lutheran, Presbyterian, Dutch Reformed and a Baptist (amazing that they all have unity on this essential topic) all explain the clear Reformational doctrines of Justification and Sanctification and how they work in the Christian life. This is a must listen. So much of Evanjellyism has confused Law and Gospel. Basically, we have become Roman Catholic. Listen here.

Now it is quite a charge to say that Evangelicals have on a fundamental level become Roman Catholic. Yet, so much of what comes forth from the pulpits today could just as easily be agreed to by a Roman Catholic. Perhaps the reverse is true? What I mean is this. Dr. Michael Horton recently interviewed Robert Sungenis on the White Horse Inn. Listen to Sungenis and see that if I had not mentioned he was Roman Catholic if you would disagree (here).

No comments: