Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Governed By Wise Turk

This whole Mit Romney issue just bugs me, I have said that our form of government must remain in a Christian world view. I have also said we must maintain the separation of church and state. Keeping the Two Kingdom theory strong and clear is often difficult in an age where even Baptists (I am thinking fundamentalists here) are so involved with the state that the two become blurred.

I think the reason so many Fundys are active in politics is the fact that government does not do what is government is to do, namely, to maintain order and peace. Instead, the government has become the church in many way and looks for so many technicalities for rapists and murderers among other things that it has lost control. This is an obvious frustration when we look at so many church leaders attempting to enforce the Rule of Law. Has the State become the church and the church become the state?

So when it comes to the issue of Romney, I am reminded of the quote from Martin Luther, "I'd rather be ruled by a wise Turk than a foolish Christian." Yet, it seems that this quote doesn't really exist but instead is apocryphal. Veith wrote about how this quote may have come about here. However, if you drop down to the second comment you will read this:

I am sure Luther would be horrified to find out that people actually put so much credence in this saying whether it is properly attributed to him or not.

I have not read the "Open Letter to the Christian Nobility", but I am quite sure there is an elegant theological argument involved.

It all comes down to this for me. The best government for any country is one that has the most complete understanding of the first use of the law and how to execute that law properly, which means consistently and justly.

I know, I know, I am going to get blasted for such a simplistic view. I guess I am unsophisticated when it comes to these things, but I am of the opinion that it is the government's job to maintain peace and order as defined in scripture. It is by these means that God uses the civil government to spread the Gospel. The civil authorities provide knowingly or unknowingly infrastructure to the Church to spread the Gospel.

This is why I believe one size does not fit all government. Democracy will work under certain circumstances and not under others. It is not a biblical mandate that the government be democratic even if it is preferable. If the citizens of a particular country are going to use democracy as a stepping stone to anarchy, then of course some form of authoritarian government is the solution. Whether that is a temporary or a more permanent solution depends upon the amount and degree of the rebellion.

The third paragraph is of interest to me. I think this guy understands something very basic. Yet, as a Nation founded and formed by the Scriptural laws and principles, our understanding of the "first use of the Law" is a Christian idea.

Therefore we must elect a man who has a firm understanding of the first use of the law, even if he is not Christian. As Luther said,

"I say this not because I would teach that worldly rulers ought not be Christians, or that a Christian cannot bear the sword and serve God in temporal government. Would God they were all Christians, or that no one could be a prince unless he were a Christian! Things would be better than they now are and the Turk would not be so powerful. But what I would do is keep the callings and offices distinct and apart, so that everyone can see to what he is called, and fulfill the duties of his office faithfully and with the heart, in the service of God."

I agree. Without such an understanding, evangelism becomes extremely difficult in lands that are governed by those who would use force and the sword against Christians. Christians will certainly need to count the cost.

So again, I think we as a people must look to see if the person we are voting for understands the Biblical principle of the first use of the law. He must be someone that understands what makes us a united people and our common values and heritage. He must be a man of character and ought to fear God's Law over man's. Do those candidates running qualify? We must be wise in how we judge. This I think is the biggest cause of the fact there are no candidates winning the hearts of Americans.

Isn't there anyone that wants to be President?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have never heard that quote before. Those are interesting thoughts.

David Shedlock said...

The lengthy genuine quote goes against the bogus one. Luther here is suggesting that it ought to be so that only Christians would be princes.

According to Scriptures, there are no wise Turks nor any truly (ultimately) foolish Christians.