Thursday, September 06, 2007

The Urgency of the Gospel

A sense of urgency was always in the preaching of Charles Haddon Spurgeon. He knew issues of Life and Death of the sinner's soul was at stake. Keith Green, a Christian musician, who died in a plane crash, also knew this. He was constantly bothering his friends and family with preaching the Gospel. In one song, Keith even laments his zeal towards others simply because he "cares". He was afraid that his zeal may have caused him to drive men away from Christ, yet as Albert Mohler notes in one of his Blog posts, "The recovery and renewal of the church in this generation will come only when from pulpit to pulpit the herald preaches as never sure to preach again, and as a dying man to dying men."

I know I suffer this problem. I know that I often bother people simply because the one thing I want to discuss is the Gospel of Jesus Christ. I have a sense of urgency. I have a love for Christ and what He has done for me. I am simply (as Paul put it) compelled to proclaim the Gospel every chance I get.

On Tuesday, I was reminded very sharply by God as to why I have this drive within me. I was paged to a vehicle accident on a country road. When I arrived upon the scene, I found two women, a mother and daughter, had been broadsided by a truck, the kind of truck that carries sand for the county road department.

They were friends. They weren't close friends, but friends from the community. Their younger daughter (not involved in the accident) went to the Christian school with Steven for a short time. They attended our churches. Our children played on the same soccer team. So we know these people.

We (EMS and Fire Rescue) made every attempt to save them, but there was simply nothing left to save. There was no strength within their bodies. They left this world to meet their Maker.

We, who remain after this tragedy, are left with the Big Questions. Why? Death came into our community and took two of our own. There is no sense of celebration as some are wont to do. The only answer I have is the Gospel, the Urgency of the Gospel!

Perhaps some of you think my zeal for the Gospel is overbearing. Perhaps you may be annoyed with me. Today I am reminded of the great issues of Life and Death. The Urgency of the Gospel!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Just a note, there is always someone that misinterprets what is said. I do not mean to say that these two Christian ladies were somehow lost as to their salvation. I only wrote this post with the sense that we ALL must be prepared to meet our Maker. Without Christ's Intercession in our behalf, we will be lost to God's wrath.

Hence, the Urgency of the Gospel.