Monday, December 19, 2005

Semi-Praise of Man, Full Praise of God

What if Mary didn't cooperate? What if Joseph didn't want to marry Mary? God certainly would never violate the wills of these two individuals. So we are blessed by Mary and Joseph's obedience. Otherwise, Jesus' birth may have been in big trouble. At least that is what I concluded after the narration that I was "forced" to read yesterday (I am saying "forced" tongue-in-cheek).

I just have to wonder why the questions are even raised in an evangelical church. Does Scripture raise these issues or questions? I see no evidence that Scripture ever makes the assumptions that so many evanjellycals make today. Simply asking the questions above would be like asking, "Is God really the Creator? Let's look at the evidence." Scripture in no place defends the concept that God is the Creator. It simply assumes it. In the same way, Scripture assumes God saves His people without any Creature getting in His way, even Mary and Joseph. It just assumes it and proclaims it.

I certainly hope we are not on the road back to Rome's view of Grace and man. With more and more Protestants embracing man-centered theology, it seems praising Joseph and Mary is just the beginning. Even if it is just a semi-praise. Perhaps next time, I'll be a little more careful as to what I agree to read in a worship service before God's people. (P.S.: I am sure it was not the intention of the music to praise Joseph and Mary, but instead to call Christians to obedience.)

1 comment:

Christian Prophet said...

I love this post because it opens me to consider the possibility that we use questions to avoid the glorious experience which God would have us experience. There have been some posts on The Holy Inheritance blog recently which have directed my mind in the same way. It seems we have a choice between an out-of-this-world experience or bringing ourselves back into this world with questions.