Saturday, November 12, 2005

Preaching As a Means of Grace To Persevere

I have often thought about preaching as the means by which God calls sinners to His Son’s Kingdom. I have often thought of preaching as the means of “awakening” God’s church. I even thought of preaching as a means by which God’s people are encouraged. John Piper adds another thought:
“Gravity in preaching is appropriate because preaching is God’s appointed means for the conversion of sinners, the awakening of the church, and the preservation of the saints.”
And again:
“It [preaching] is God’s appointed means of keeping them secure….He calls effectually by the Word and He keeps effectually by the Word.”
I have never quite thought of preaching that way. I agree that the doctrine of justification is a past action that is fully complete. Because of its completeness, I am fully justified today. In the same way, preaching was the means by which I was saved, but it is also God’s Word, which keeps me.

We as God’s people need to hear the called man of God preach the Word of God. It is the means of Grace by which God has chosen to save and preserve His people. Tomorrow morning, I will look forward to Lynne’s message with a whole new enthusiasm. I expect to hear God call me to persevere. It is His means of preserving me.

No comments: