Friday, November 18, 2005

Christian Movie Makers Stuck On An Island

Art is an interesting topic, especially for Christians. What is appropriate, and what is not? Is there a Christian horror genre? Fantasy movies like the Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe verses Harry Potter can lead to quite a debate. Debates are good things, and the discussions on the White Horse Inn several weeks ago were even better.

Listen to Michael Horton interview Scott Derrickson about a movie by "Sony Pictures, The Exorcism of Emily Rose." Michael Horton also does a two-part interview with another screen writer Brian Godawa. Click here for part one and part two.

I first realized just how many movies that are made that never make it to the wider general public when Focus On The Family interviewed Mel Gibson. I hope that instead of the really bad movies like Left Behind (I know I went on a limb saying that), we will instead get movies like Signs and other more gospel oriented movies that could actually be considered art (yes, I realize Signs was not a movie particularly about the gospel). Perhaps another movie about Tom Hanks being stuck on an island would be better than some of the Christian stuff that is out there.

I agree with the point that Christians, who make movies, should not feel the need to be stuck to the idea that in order for a movie to be Christian, somebody has to pray the "sinner's prayer" underneath some golden tree. Perhaps those movies have their place, but Christian art should cover more than the fundamentalist island they are stranded on.

2 comments:

TheFilmCritic said...

I can't help but wonder if you wrote this blog as a way of finally getting me to post a comment. Well, it worked.
I think you're right on about the sort of films Christian filmmakers need to be churning out. We need movies that will deal with important and relevant themes like forgiveness, love, charity, actually the themes are limitless so I'll stop there. My point is that it makes more sense to tell a good story and weave a solid value or lesson through said story. The problem with Christian film makers now is they seem to think they have to teach the gospel to their audience. I just can't help but think that is what preaching is for.

Howard Fisher said...

"I just can't help but think that is what preaching is for."

That was exactly what they (the White Horse Inn) said makes a bad movie.