Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Children and Magic of Holidays

Once again, having children gives the Holidays far more meaning. I remember back in my early Air Force days and even in High School celebrating Christmas and Thanksgiving with friends. There was a sense of "outer darkness" or a feeling that there simply is no meaning to all of this. The Holidays were obviously meant to cheer people, instead they pointed out the obvious that life really had no meaning.

Having my worldview turned upsidedown at the age of 22 may have given me a new outlook on life, but Christmas still seemed somewhat empty. Don't take me wrong, I loved my new wife and my new family. Christmas with them was more meaningful. But that sappy sentimentality just never accompanied the Holidays. I just was not a very emotional person.

Over the years, my wife has had an affect on me in more ways than she may know. She loves history, and her love is infectious. When Steven was six months old, we drove all night to Washington D.C. for Veteran's Day Weekend. We walked through D.C. till our legs literally could not take another step. During that walk I began to be impressed with our Nation's history. Reading quotes by Lincoln at his memorial, watching the changing of the guard at the National Cememtery and seeing Washington's monument were quite moving. She even read to me a book about John Adams. A book of personal letters between John and his wife Abigail was a fascinating read.

Having a knoweldge of history can help give a man a sense of who he is. Having faith in Christ gives a man new life. Having children perhaps may be one of the greatest means of grace that God uses to bring a man to love Himself. Children remind us of why we are here. Children remind us just how fragile life truly is. Children often remind us that the meaning of life is not bigger homes or faster cars or more powerful computers or being able to earn more money or the miriad other things one could come up with.

My children have helped me to see the face of God. When their eyes glow with the "magic" of Christmas or giving thanks for our child that they have never seen, I get the sense of "Awe" that I lost so long ago.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You couldn't stand being tied with us. You just had to do one better. Congatulations!

Mike and Cindy

Howard Fisher said...

Yup. ;-)