Friday, February 18, 2005

Vapor In The Wind

A fairly new song is in the Christian contemporary market. The song writer composes several verses from the Bible about how man is "vapor in the wind" or grass that is here today and gone tomorrow.

Yesterday only demonstrated that to my extended family. My EMT pager alarmed about 8:30 am. The call was about a woman who was not breathing. While I was doing CPR a relative asked me, "Will she be alright?" To be honest here, I have never performed CPR on a person that had survived (hopefully that it is not because of my ability to do CPR). I simply could not give an answer. The relative that was asking me was a sister of the person that had died. The relative was the wife of grandpa.

The panic of death comes so quickly. No matter how hard we try, we are never prepared for it. It just doesn't seem right. To the shagrin of those who are naturalists, I don't think death is natural. It violates our intuitions. It shakes us to the core. There is something inside us that says "this can't be" and yet it is.

Sin has brought death to men. Our rebellion has brought death to men. Adam and Eve have brought death to men. There is no escaping it. We are slaves of it. It looms over our heads as Romans one tells us, "The wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness."

I am not sure how to prepare myself for the mysteries of God's Sovereign decree. I only know that I am a man. I experience life's challenges that God gives me. I prepare my children in the grace and admonition of the Lord. I love my wife and provide for her. In the end, God will judge my life. What little I do here, carries great weight in the judgment. For it is there, my true character will be revealed. It is there the whole world will see if my faith was a true saving faith or a faith without works.

The older I get, the more aware I am of my mortality, the more aware I become that I am here today and gone tomorrow. I am but a vapor in the wind.

No comments: