Friday, February 11, 2005

Can Christians Stand Up In Academics Too?

Years ago, when the internet was "new" and the baud rate was 1200-2400, there were things called bulletin boards. Although they still exist, they were definitely much more primitive. Atheists were out in full force in the Philosphy sections. It was then I learned what atheism is and how those who adhere to such a system of beliefs think.

Prior to this I had learned what might be called "Evidential Apologetics". That simply being that the evidence, scientific or historical or otherwise, favored Christianity. I used "Evidential Apologetics" in order to defend Christianity from within and without. I defended doctrines such as the Trinity against Jehovah's Witnesses. I defended the creation account from those who accepted an evolutionary world view. I defended the reliability of Scripture against those who say the bible is just a book of myths.

Then I discovered atheism. Not just the local guy who has doubts, but the really smart guys who swung philosophical baseball bats while I was playing whiffle ball. As with anything that is worthwhile, I hung in there till I could understand their position. It was then I began to form my own "Presuppositional Apologetics". It was extremely crude but effective. I simply brought the Atheist to the point he had to reject the Laws of Logic.

Just a few months ago, I came across a man who is apparently one of the pioneers of a developed "Presuppositional Apologetics". Of course, as with most authors and speakers I discover, the man passed away a few years ago. I now realize that there are fully developed works and thoughtful people who recognized what I only did in a primitive fashion.

If you would like to understand what in the world I am talking about, simply listen to this debate I will link below. It is a debate between an Atheist, Gordon Stein, and Christian Apologist, Greg Bahnsen. I am always being told that Christians are stupid by philosohphers and scientists. I challenge you to listen to this debate and listen for yourself who is outclassed.

Click Here to Listen.

1 comment:

FX Turk said...

wait -- you mean to tell me that Christains are not stupid dupes but not only have God's grace to sustain them but also more than two brain cells working at the same time?

hey fish: I'm the one who needs CPR now.
:-)