Thursday, February 04, 2010

Jesus and His Coming Kingdom part 1

Mr. Ellis in one of his comments provided an apparent contradiction within the New Testament that he considers a "doozie". Although I have interacted with this issue before, I think this citation from infidels.org should probably have its own posts. I also realize that nothing I say will convince anyone. But for those who are Christians and would like to know that there are responses to "doozies", I will make my attempt. Here is the pasted comment.
There are several passages in the gospels where Jesus says he will return in the disciples' lifetime (Mark 13:30, Matthew 10:23, 16:28, 24:34, Luke 21:32, etc.).

The same expectation held during the period the apostle Paul wrote his letters. In 1 Corinthians 7:29-31 Paul says that the time is so short that believers should drastically change the way that they live. But Paul had a problem - some believers had died, so what would happen to them when Jesus returned?

Paul's answer in 1 Thessalonians 4:13-18 shows that Paul expected that at least some of those he was writing to would be alive when Jesus returned - "we who are alive, and remain..." The same passage also indicates that Paul believed that those believers who had died remained "asleep in Jesus" until he returned. However, as the delay in Jesus' return grew longer, the location of Jesus' kingdom shifted from earth to heaven and we later find Paul indicating that when believers die they will immediately "depart and be with Christ" (Philippians 1:23).

It is quite obvious that Jesus never intended to start any type of church structure since he believed he would return very shortly to rule his kingdom in person. It is also quite obvious that Jesus was wrong about when he was coming back
Now there is nothing really new here. Infidel.org does its usual over stating the case. Although, I acknowledge the problem as articulated by Jesus in Matthew 24 in this verse,
Mat 24:34 "Truly I say to you, this generation will not pass away until all these things take place. [NASB]
I personally think this one is more difficult:
Mat 26:64 Jesus *said to him, "You have said it yourself; nevertheless I tell you, hereafter you will see THE SON OF MAN SITTING AT THE RIGHT HAND OF POWER, and COMING ON THE CLOUDS OF HEAVEN. [NASB]
In these verses, it seems as though Jesus is predicting His Bodily Second Coming within the generation of those with whom he is speaking. Before, we look at these problems, I need to explain some side issues that may eliminate some further objections down the road. Since I am writing this as I get a chance, I am not certain as to how this will go. I guess we'll get there when we get there.

1 comment:

Peter Davidson said...

Hello Howard, You have a very interesting blog here! You may also appreciate the many testimonies of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ at http://wetestifyofchrist.blogspot.com. God bless.