Thursday, July 03, 2008

Why Should I Vote For McCain Again?

Here is a story about 100 conservative Christian leaders giving their support to John McCain. Now I must admit I have not been following McCain's campaign as closely as I should. I think if he is going to run for President and if he wants my vote, he ought to persuade me. He ought to be articulating why I, as a conservative, should vote for him. To be honest, I have been under the impression McCain doesn't want or need my vote.

So back to the Time/CNN story, after reading about the 100 conservatives supporting him, I noticed something interesting. Nothing in the story explains why I should vote for McCain. This is no better than Jerry Falwell signing on. I guess he has some endorsements, therefore let us all blindly follow McCain. It is as if Nike were selling me a shoe with Michael Jordon's picture on it. Nevermind the fact the shoe has no laces or a soul.

What's worse, saving the environment [I assume from the hoax of Global Warming] is being passed off as Conservativism.

More than an hour was spent listening to younger leaders tell the group that religious conservatives must be perceived "to care" about social issues and the environment to appeal to young people who are voting for the first time.

Perhaps these young leaders need to read George Carlin's perspective on the planet.

The planet has been through a lot worse than us. Been through all kinds of things worse than us. Been through earthquakes, volcanoes, plate tectonics, continental drift, solar flares, sun spots, magnetic storms, the magnetic reversal of the poles...hundreds of thousands of years of bombardment by comets and asteroids and meteors, worlwide floods, tidal waves, worldwide fires, erosion, cosmic rays, recurring ice ages...And we think some plastic bags, and some aluminum cans are going to make a difference? The planet...the planet...the planet isn't going anywhere. WE ARE!

Surrendering our freedom to Environmentalists governmental bureaucrats is foolish. What difference does it make if it the President is John McCain or Barak Obama? I just assume Liberalism be on full display when the results of such a policy come to fruition.

Here is more nothing coming from the McCain campaign on social issues.

In recent weeks, the McCain campaign has been trying to spell out clear policy differences on social issues with the Obama campaign. Last week, McCain came out in favor of a constitutional amendment in California to outlaw gay marriage, which was legalized this spring by the state Supreme Court. Though McCain opposes an amendment to the federal constitution to ban gay marriage, he has previously supported similar state constitutional amendments.
Basically, John McCain supports a position that is reminiscent of John Kerry's "I actually did vote for the $87 billion before I voted against it." The only difference is that John McCain isn't voting or leading a movement. This statement by McCain basically says, "California may pass an amendment. I'll clap my hands if they do, but I will not actually do anything myself. I am too busy trying to get the Moderates, and I don't want to offend them."

I am curious, does anybody know what John McCain stands for?

No comments: