Sunday, January 13, 2008

Sports This Weekend

I would just like to mention three things in sports I saw this weekend. The most important I'll mention first. The Patriots won! My son seems to like this fact.



During the Chargers/Colts game, a girl wearing a Patriots jersey was booed. These people must have no class. The Colts lost, so no revenge is needed by the Patriot fans.

Friday night had an interesting college hockey game that was either thrown or had a referee that should be wearing glasses. Wisconsin was playing Denver. Wisconsin was down by one goal. Denver had goofed and iced the puck. This caused a new face-off in front of the Denver net with 3.7 seconds on the game clock. Wisconsin wins the face-off and shoots a goal with .7 seconds left. Watch Here.


Now I recorded this badly but here is a slow motion review.



What was interesting is that the sports channel this was being shown on did not show a replay of this goal. It was the only replay of the night that they did not show. Makes one wonder why.

If you watch carefully above the Pepsi sign on the boards to the right of the net, there are two lights. Notice at about .4 seconds, one of them comes on. This is the light that is controlled by a person behind the net. When he sees a goal, he manually turns on the light. If he turns on his light before the "End of the Game Light", then there is only one logical conclusion. It must be a goal. He could be late (causing the light to not be able to come on!), but not early.

After the referee reviewed the video, he concluded that this was not a goal and Wisconsin lost. Now perhaps this call would have worked a few years ago, but Americans that are watching TV have this thing where we may record video (I have a DVR). There is no doubt that this was a goal. Wisconsin clearly got the shaft.

Not to worry though. The next day, Wisconsin beat Denver. There was no doubt after that game.

In this life we may see all kinds of injustices. We must keep in mind that there is a Judge, who judges with wisdom and righteousness. We must do what is right. This coach did. He led his team to a victory that truly meant something.

2 comments:

Nicholas Z. Cardot said...

I preface this statement by saying that I know nothing about sports or football. I have only watched a few football games.

That said...I like the patriots.

Here is the only reason why. In 2001 (I think), they were in the playoffs against the raiders. The Raiders are my brothers team, so I rooted against them. They beat the raiders.

The next week, my brother rooted against the Patriots, who I rooted for. Again they won. They took me all the way to the Super Bowl.

I never watched football before that, and I haven't watched any games since then, but they have been my team ever since!

Howard Fisher said...

Thanks Nicholas. It is always interesting how people come to watch certain teams. I grew up in New England watching the Houston Oilers when they had Earl Campbell. NE Patriots were not good enough to show on TV in the local area, so I didn't become a fan till much later in life.

It truly was bad marketing. In order to gain the lifelong love of the next generation, the next generation needs to watch the team. I think some teams have figure that out now. Many haven't.

Eventually though, the Patriots became good enough to show on TV. We started watching only because a friend of mine who grew up in Maine (outside the blacked out area) made sure we watched. If it was not for him, I would be one less fan today.

Marketers still not seem to get it, but....