Saturday, January 06, 2007

Pulpit Crimes

Pulpit Crimes by Dr. James R. White. I have only read the Introduction and the first chapter (since I am in his channel, I have also read many excerpts while he was writing it), but I had to Blog about it. If the rest of this book follows the first chapter, then this is a must have book by anyone who desires to hear about the nature and scope of preaching. Not only is this book theologically driven and Biblically sound, it is very relevant for today.

I have personally experienced Pulpit crimes many times as we all probably have. The first chapter speaks about the nature of preaching the cross of Christ. On page 17 Dr. White writes about those who wish to hide the offensiveness of the Gospel:

“Or, I can distrust that very message, and likewise the Spirit that promises to make it come alive in the hearts of God’s elect. I can choose instead to add my ‘assistance’ through the use of speech marked by human wisdom and insight. I can protest loudly that I have the greatest motives in doing so. I can argue that ‘the old ways just won’t work anymore.’”
At a Deacon retreat that I attended, a woman pastor (yes I know, another pulpit crime) spoke to my church’s deaconate board and used key phrases from the Emergent Church movement. At one point she stated that Sunday school classes would have to change from a “teacher lecturing, to a group discussion…the old ways just won’t work anymore.” What I wanted to tell this female pastor was that my church already reduces Sunday school to group therapy time (for some classes that is).

Just as a side note, I asked a pointed question so that all of the pastors and Deacons would see that what was being promoted was Emergent church. Everyone in the room apparently missed the meaning of my question. The only one intelligent enough to see I was fully aware of the deception of the things being taught was the female speaker herself. Ironic isn’t it? (It was very clear to me she was not happy I asked the question.)

Dr. White finishes the chapter with a discussion on the meaning of a successful and blessed church. So many churches (including my own) see success in numbers. The idea of even thinking theologically and Biblically about the means of how we are to reach the lost seems distant to many a mind.

There are Pulpit crimes on both the theologically Liberal side as well as the conservative and fundamentalist side. My brother Blogged about a pulpit crime committed against him as a child in a Fundamentalist Baptist Church (read here).

The chapter’s emphasis is about whether God’s chosen pastors will preach the foolishness of the cross. That he will do so without cleverness of speech or manipulation. That he will proclaim the stumbling block to the Jews and the foolishness to the Gentiles and trust that God will do a mighty work as He sees fit, either in the condemnation of sinners or the great salvation of the Saints.

Soli Deo Gloria

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That sounds awesome! You will have to let us know when you finish if the whole book is good and then I might just have to go get it.

David B. Hewitt said...

It IS that good.

I was privileged to be one of the grammatical editors for it as he was writing it, so I saw about 90% of it before it went to press... and it is WELL worth the read.

Get yours today!

SDG,
dbh

Anonymous said...

Howie,
I was also at that meeting. I appreciate you letting us common folk set in on your discussions. Let me know when you are speaking again so that I may get an outline and study so that I am not so far behind you.

Thanks Matt

Anonymous said...

Matt,

I admit that my choice of words certainly was not the kindest. I do however find it odd that the shepherds of God's flock ought to understand these issues far better than myself. Therefore when I said "intelligent", I am not saying everyone is stupid, and I am the smart one in the room. I am simply saying that false teachers are everywhere and ought to be recognized.

Nothing that was said in that meeting was difficult or overintellectual. When the Scriptures are clear as to what church is and how it is to function, and we in turn violate clear Scriptural teaching, something is wrong.

The simple fact a female pastor is speaking to the leadership of a church is foundationally problematic. Therefore it is not that I am smarter than anyone else. I guess my presuppositions about the clarity and nature of Scripture and its teachings cause me to think differently.

Perhaps I am the total odd ball in our church, and perhaps I am in error. Perhaps the church believes as a whole that I am in error. Perhaps our church is in line with Emergent Church. In that case, should I be a Deacon?