Monday, September 18, 2006

Firemen Answer the Call

I could hear Jacob beginning to grunt and get me up. Yet I was lazy and didn't move any faster than he did. Then that little tone during daytime hours became deafening. A call the men of Scott City would answer.

At midnight last night, the Scott City Fire Department was dispatched to Helmer's, a Ford car dealership. I arrived at the station finding a full crew. The assistant Fire chief gave the command that not only our main Engine 3 roll but also the old "Boardman". He said there was plenty of smoke rolling down Main St. We'll need everthing we got.

I pulled Engine 3 near the alley across from the building. I thought the fire was something we could stop. It was located mainly in the north-west corner of the building, where we were closest. I was wrong. There was a second floor. We attempted to cut into the building. The fire simply overpowered us.

Firemen evacuated the area as the roof flashed over with roaring flames. The heat was unbearable. Vehicles began to explode as we recelebrated the Fourth of July. Several nearby homes were evacuated.

Men began moving hoses around Engine 3. I put the truck in reverse and backed away. We sprayed water on the truck to keep it from being burned. It turns out the only damage was to the windshield and some plastic items.

The building burned to the ground except for the exterior block walls. Every car that was inside was destroyed. The Firemen of Scott City and Scott County Fire Departments worked as hard as I have ever seen. Although we were not able to save the building, the fire was contained and no one was injured.

I am hopeful that something good may come of this. Scott City is a small town. Perhaps this small buisness will grow as a result and the city with it.


This shot was sent to me this morning by Harold Irwin Assistant County Fire Chief. The picture would be looking south towards the building.



My son and I took these on the way to his school. They are facing west as we came down Second street, pulling out onto Main.







I also want to offer a thank you to the Scott County EMS for responding. They made sure everyone remained hydrated and in good shape. It is tough for volunteers to get up at such a late hour. They also answered the call of duty.

This may seem trivial to those in the big cities where this may be a daily occurence. Yet for those who live in a small rural town in western KS, this was something we may never forget.

2 comments:

MarieP said...

I heard about this in #pros last night. You all were in my prayers! I am thankful no one was hurt. I pray that much good will be brought out of this.

Anonymous said...

Glad all is okay. If you want some non-stop action I got a city of chocolate for you to visit.