Friday, August 12, 2005

I Have Been Anathematized

Steve Camp's blog reminded me of something I had forgotten to mention on my little series on the Apocrypha. Here is a portion of his Blog on the Council of Trent:

FOURTH SESSION: DECREE CONCERNING THE CANONICAL SCRIPTURES:
"If anyone does not accept as sacred and canonical the aforesaid books in their entirety and with all their parts [the 66 books of the Bible plus 12 apocryphal books, being two of Paralipomenon, two of Esdras, Tobias, Judith, Wisdom, Ecclesiasticus, Baruch, Sophonias, two of Macabees], as they have been accustomed to be read in the Catholic Church and as they are contained in the old Latin Vulgate Edition, and knowingly and deliberately rejects the aforesaid traditions, LET HIM BE ANATHEMA."


Roman Catholics are always quick to point out to me that I am condemning them for preaching a false gospel, and they are just so loving. Ahhhhh...did anyone read that "LET HIM BE ANATHEMA" part? How quickly history seems to be forgotten.

So I will say along with Martin Luther:

"Unless I am convicted by scripture and plain reason - I do not accept the authority of the popes and councils, for they have contradicted each other - my conscience is captive to the Word of God. I cannot and I will not recant anything for to go against conscience is neither right nor safe. God help me. Amen."

2 comments:

Unchained Slave said...

Hope you don't mind,
I've been having a 'go round' with a Catholic friend of mine regarding excommunication and anethema. It was a parallel conversation to Mr. Camp's article. My friend is quick to point out that "latae sententiae excommunication" (by one's own deeds - as opposed to formal 'canonical' trial) and 'Anathema'(a sentence worse than excommunication) are reserved for Catholics. The Catholic Church - 'extends its grace' to 'heathens' that were brought up in heretical and schismatic beliefs - it is 'possible' to actually 'achieve' salvation outside the Catholic Church, but one is denied the 'fullness of grace and salvation'.
So, If you were never a Catholic - you are not 'excommunicated' or 'anathema' - just decieved.

This is just an explanation, not an endorsement of the Catholic Church.

Knowing your not excommunicated or Anathema might let you sleep better at night :)

May Grace and Blessings abound,

Howard Fisher said...

Unchained, thanks for the post. I am aware of the modern answers. Those answers are simply anachronistic. It is the church interpreting the church. If we Protestants today were to be beamed back in time, the church at that time would make no such distinction. Sola Ecclesia!