Monday, April 04, 2005

"What is the Gospel?" Should Be the Question

Even though some of you have asked me for my thoughts on the Bishop of Rome's passing, I have refrained because I simply have no feeling about him one way or the other. He is not my Shepherd or Elder or Pastor. Since my co-worker owns the Spear of Destiny, he has prodded me to make a comment.

It has been amazing to me how many Evangelics have tossed out the Gospel in order to buddy up with a system of beliefs represented by a man that opposes the Gospel of Grace. Yesterday I watched Pat Robertson take advantage of the Pope's passing to sound ecumenical. You would almost think the Pope was the Protestant church's leader. Then again, Pat Robertson's gospel is a little on the watered side anyway.

It is true that John Paul II was a great man. He did great things. He lived in extraordinary times and lived an extraordinary life. There are many other "leaders" that have done the same. Does this make them Biblically sound?

I am concerned with the the nature of the Gospel. Is Jesus the Perfect Savior who saves perfectly, or does He need our "help" in whatever form that may occur? Is His righteousness "imputed" to us by faith alone? Or do we gain God's grace via some other means? Just because a great man has lived among us, does not mean the age old debate as to the nature of the Gospel has changed.

No comments: