Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Riddlebarger's Man of Sin

Amill, historic premill, post mill and dispensational premill and preterism are positions of eschatology that may keep Christians up into the late hours of night discussing who is right. I have had two recent conversations asking me of my position. Now most know that I had abandoned Dispensational Premillennarianism years ago. I did agree to the Historic Premill position for many years. Yet consistency keeps me leaning towards the Amill camp. I feel like I am walking into that camp, yet one foot is stuck on some gum.


This week I have been listening to a Reformed Amillennarian, Kim Riddlebarger. He has given a lecture series based upon his new book, The Man of Sin. One Reviewer says,

The doctrine of the Antichrist is one of the most interesting doctrines found in Scripture, says author Kim Riddlebarger. Unfortunately, it's also one which has been subject to far more speculation than sound biblical exegesis. Until now. Unlike other resources available on the Antichrist, The Man of Sin focuses on Scripture, not contemporary events, to uncover the truth about this mysterious entity. With skilled exegesis Riddlebarger asserts that, contrary to popular speculation, the Antichrist is not a singular individual but a series of beings that will arise to challenge Christ throughout the inter-advental age before culminating in an end-times Antichrist. Backing this claim first in Scripture, Riddlebarger also draws from historical teachings including those of the church fathers, the Reformation, and historic Protestantism, before contrasting this evidence to the sensational interpretations of many contemporary writers. Pastors, teachers, and study groups wanting to understand the doctrine of the Antichrist will find The Man of Sin to be a unique and comprehensive study.

The lecture series covers a lot of ground on this interesting topic. A friend of mine asked me “Since you’re a Amiller, what do you do with 2 Thessalonians and the Man of Lawlessness?” I had to admit I really did not know. I have not really studied the area of Eschatology in many years. It simply has not been my point of main interest. Yet Riddlebarger does deal with this question straight on. Although I would have a couple of questions about his conclusion, he very effectively shows the strong parallels between Revelation 20 and 2 Thessalonians 2.

Riddlebarger basically contrasts the Apostasy of 2 Thess 2 with the end of the Millennium (church age) of Rev 20:7. He argues that the antichrist is the Beast of Revelation 20 and the Man of Lawlessness (sin). But he is careful to say that every generation must face their antichrists or Beasts until the one that restrains him is “taken out of the way”, which he believes is the preaching of the Gospel.

He used Hitler as an example of an antichrist. I was a bit puzzled by this point. It is true that since the preaching of the Gospel ceased in Germany, Hitler was able to rise to power, but it was the United States and England that ultimately restrained him in the end. Perhaps both the preaching of the Gospel and governments restrain the man of lawlessness?

Aside from Sam Waldron's lectures, Riddlebarger has given the best presentation of the Amillennarian position I have heard. Riddlebarger does a great job in the lectures. When Dispensationalists excommunicate each other over being post-tribulation verses pre-tribulation, I think they remind me why I just don’t want to go back to those conversations unless I have laid down a sound theological position first. I suppose I'll have to get this book and attempt to read it too. :-)

No comments: