Sunday, June 10, 2007

Shallow Water

This morning I had the privilege to speak to God's people gathered in a small town in Shallow Water, Kansas. I spoke on Matthew chapter 3. Yes, if you are a critic, you will find a couple of major flaws. Perhaps writing out sermons in manuscript form is better. I just can't seem to do that and find the time to do it right.

The people seemed to be blessed and encouraged. While their pastor is away on a missions trip in Mississippi/Louisiana that may be the most important thing. Next week they shall have their pastor home ministering to them. I pray he comes home to a people that survived me and looking forward to his ministry to them.

Here is the sermon.

3 comments:

dtking said...

Howard,

I listened to your sermon, and appreciated it. Just one comment; at one point you expressed your lack of understanding for the way John the Baptist was clothed. If you remember when the angel appeared to Zacharias, the father of John the Baptist, in Luke 1, the angel said in v. 17 that John would precede the Messiah "in the spirit and power of Elijah." I think that the clothing of John the Baptist itself identified him with his spiritual prototype, Elijah. If you read 1 Kings 1:7-8, it says that Elijah was identified by his dress, "A hairy man wearing a leather belt around his waist." The marginal note reads, "a man with a garment of hair." Elijah was known as a prophet dressed in a hairy garment with a leather belt.

In fact, the whole matter of the hairy garment had so come to be identified with the prophetic office that false prophets tried to deceive people by dressing in this way (See Zech 13:4).

So when the forerunner of the Messiah appeared on the scene, he cried out not only in the wilderness, but he cried out in the wilderness after the manner and likeness of Elijah! Jesus told the multitudes concerning John that if they were willing to accept it, he (John) "is Elijah who is to come" (Matt 11:14). John was dressed as he was in order to fit the prophetic description, connecting him with Elijah, and fulfilling the prophecy of his preparing the way of the Messiah.

DTK

Anonymous said...

Howdy Pastor King,

First, I am glad to hear from you. My wife and I are still praying for your continued ministry.

2) I appreciate your taking the to listen to my message.

3) I also appreciate the comments. I did not read that anywhere. I will be sure to express that information next time I have an opportunity.

I knew Matthew recorded that verse for some reason. Now I know!

Thanks and God Bless.

dtking said...

Thanks Howard,

Please continue to remember us in your prayers. And again, I appreciated your sermon.

Blessings,
DTK