Wednesday, September 21, 2005

You're Offended, I'm Offended

A few weeks ago I preached a sermon on the sufficiency of Scripture. During the sermon, I explained that certain religious groups deny this. I said nothing that could be construed to be a lie. Yet I offended some people.

Why is stating certain facts offensive, I am not sure. It is true that Mormonism denies that the Bible is sufficient. They will even have the Book of Mormon in their hands to show that they have more than the Bible. The Jehovah's Witnesses have more literature thrown at them from week to week than anyone I know. This is all true. But God forbid I mention Roman Catholicism.

Why is it offensive to mention that many Roman Catholics deny the sufficiency of Scripture and believe that Traditions are equal to Scripture? Isn't that what many believe? Yet several people are offended that I mention these facts.

Nobody seems to mind that I might be offended. I might be offended that most Protestants have no idea what the issues of the gospel are. I might be offended that the groups above deny the Gospel according to the Scripture. I might be offended that Protestants are denying the imputation of Christ's righteousness. I might be offended that many Protestants are compromising the Gospel to make peace with a church (Rome) that can not by Biblical definition ever come to repentance without denying its own authority. It seems to me, nobody cares that I might be offended.

Truth is, I am offended when I see a false Gospel preached. I am offended when Scripture is blasphemed. I am offended when a brother mocks the Name of Christ while wanting to be granted assurance of his salvation. I am offended when the power of the Gospel is denied while Protestant evangelists manipulate people to say the sinners prayer and say, "You're saved, now never question salvation again."

So why are so many Protestants wanting to defend Roman Catholicism as if it were just another Protestant denomination? Truth is most Protestants don't know the issues. It is time for the Shepherds of God's flock to call the sheep out of this world while they remain in it.

I won't sweat it though. In the end, I have been following John Quincy Adam's advise. "Duty is mine, results are God's."

Soli Deo Gloria

No comments: