Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Rove On U.S. As a Christian Nation

Karl Rove was interviewed by Rush Limbaugh yesterday. Whatever you think of Rove politically, I thought this portion of the conversation was interesting. He explained that President Obama had misquoted him in his book, The Audacity of Hope. Apparently, the President did not check his sources carefully.
...an aide of mine came in and said, "Do you know that you're in Barack Obama's book?" I said, "Really, Audacity of Hope, I'm in there?" He said, "Yeah, saying quote: 'We are a Christian nation,'" end quote, and he has it in quotes with my name attached to it. Now, look I've never said any such thing. It's one thing to say we're based on the Judeo-Christian ethic or draw from the Judeo-Christian ethic, that we have enshrined the free expression of religion, that we have no state establishment of a state church, but you can't say we're a Christian nation 'cause that leaves out the Jews and the Buddhist and the Sikhs and the nonbelievers, all of whom under our Constitution are as good an American as anybody else. So, you know, but he easily said that about me, and I confronted him about it. And he had no good explanation of why he would attribute to me something that I didn't say. He then went on in his book to accuse me of being a 1960s radical. And as I say in my book, isn't that rich? I don't remember trying to bomb a government office building --
Rove is right on. Our Nation's institutions may have been founded by a majority of Christian people, but that does not make them Christian. Citizens who are Jews and Buddhists and ect. are just as American citizens as anyone else.

No comments: